“A strategic inflection point is a time in the life of a business when its fundamentals are about to change. that change can mean an opportunity to rise to new heights. But it may just as likely signal the beginning of the end.” — Andrew Grover
There are a wave of changes occurring both in the competitive landscape and in the fundamentals of the technologies businesses use.
The following statements are true for many of my current and future clients.
- Our underlying technologies will go over a cliff and crash into the rocks of the obsolete. Heed me. This is always true. The question is when, and are you preparing?
- The technical debt we are dragging behind us will slow us down and allow competitors to leap over our sweaty efforts to stay ahead. Do you feel the weight? If not, you are one of the very few clean sheet efforts that
isstill shiny new. The debt is coming!
- The marketplace is hungry for new ideas. We have ideas that the marketplace would love BUT…. the above factors are barriers to our ability to move with speed.
- The world-wide competition is getting better.
There is a need for speed. I have been helping various clients deal with the emerging inflection points in their businesses. Here are three of the keys I have been providing.
1. Provide leaders with the mindset, methods, and skills such that they master leading with speed.
2. Put into place the organizational DNA for ruthless prioritization. This skill must be mastered at the top, the middle, and the individuals throughout the organization.
3. Put into place the leadership acceleration engine. The keys to thriving as a business hinges on great leadership. Being a great leader hinges on the ability to constantly improve.
The question to consider is are you riding the wave of change, behind the wave, or staring up at the crush of the future coming at you?
I do know this, it is much more fun to ride the wave.
Yours in the calm pursuit of excellence,